The Historic Carousel

Historic Carousel


The octagonal building housing the Seaside Carousel was built in the 1950s in a variation of the Miami Modern architectural style, with newly popular glass bricks, and its peaked roof topped by the cupola feature commonly found in the Bahamas, which allows warmer air to rise and escape, drawing in cooler air at the lower levels. The original Seaside Carousel inside the building was made by the famous Allen Herschel Company of Tonawanda, New York, and is fondly remembered by older Miamians who even recall their particular favorite horses. That original one was dismantled and scrapped, but a newly rebuilt, more ornate 1949 Allen Herschel carousel was installed in 2008, in time for the grand reopening of the park, for younger generations to form their own fond memories.